Car Insurance FAQ Answers

Buying a policy

Can I get immediate coverage?

Yes, you can get immediate coverage if you have a credit or debit card or if you are able to do a Direct Debit. This issuance of immediate coverage is subject to normal terms and conditions. Also note that is you opt for payment via Direct Deposit we may require an initial deposit from you that is payable by credit of debit card.
Why do I need a password?

You will be asked to save your insurance quote with a password so that you can be certain that no one besides you can access or alter your personal details. This password will save your information so that you can easily access it to change or check at a later time.

Differenciate between comprehensive and 3rd party fire and theft insurance?

The differences between comprehensive and third party fire and theft insurance are as follows:
* Comprehensive covers damage to your car that is a result of an accident, theft or fire. Additionally, it covers windscreen damage.
* If you have an accident, you are also covered for third party damage.

* Comprehensive coverage includes personal accident, injury, death of the policyholder, medical expenses, personal effects and in-car entertainment.
* Third party fire and theft covers damage to your car in the case of theft or fire. It also covers for third party damage in the event of an accident.

The system does not recognize my car’s make and model.

Sometimes the registration mark does not provide enough information for us to properly identify the make and model of your car. In such a case, leave the registration field blank. This will prompt the system to request that you conduct a manual search for the required information. Once you have done this, the system will provide a list of vehicle models. Select the appropriate model from the list. If for some reason you are not able to find that exact details on your car.

I am trying to get a quote for car insurance but the system does not recognize my address.

Our system is dependent upon a correct house name or number as well as a complete postal code which we routinely check via the Royal Mail registered address listings. We update our database every six month and should be able to recognize your address. However, we are aware that a very small number of properties that do not appear on our site. This can occur for a variety of reasons and we are working to correct this problem. If you encounter this problem and are in urgent need of a quote please contact us directly.

I am trying to get a quote for car insurance but the system does not recognize my vehicle registration number.

In most instances, you are only required to enter your registration number on the first page allowing our system to find the vehicle details. This saves you time from having to manually go through the vehicle selection screens. When our system is unable to locate the registration number (this is generally due to a newly registered vehicle or a vehicle where you did not know the registration number such as you are considering a new car) you will be asked to manually input your information via several selections that pinpoint the manufacturer, model and year then providing you with a brief list of vehicles that fit that criteria.
Can I enter details of claims and/or convictions when I get my quote online?

Yes. Because your driving history will play a large part in your coverage, policy and rates, we will request that you submit details of any claims or convictions that are on your record. In some cases it may be necessary for a representative from Yes Insurance to contact you to discuss some details.

How old do I need to be to get an insurance quote on your website?

Our regulations state that you must be 18 years or older but younger than 80 years of age in order to obtain an online quote for insurance.

How long will it take for me to receive my insurance documents?

You should receive your insurance documents within 5 working days of your request. If you do not receive them within this time, please contact our office.

What documents am I required to submit to receive a no claims discount?

In order to receive your no claims discount, you must submit to us a renewal notice from your previous insurer as proof that you qualify. If your renewal notice does not state your entitlement to a no claims discount, or it is not available to you, you should call your previous insurer and request confirmation of your NCD. Once you receive it, you can forward it to our office.

Can my vehicle be insured if it has been modified?

Modifications made to your vehicle that improves its value, performance, handling or aesthetics may be prohibited in terms of insuring your vehicle with us. If you are not sure whether or not your vehicle’s modifications are acceptable or if you have any questions, please call 0870 160 25 36 and speak to one of your customer service operators.
Can my imported vehicle be insured through your company?

One of two criteria must be met in order for us to insure an imported car:

1. It can be located by its registration number
2. You can locate the exact model in our manual selection table
Additionally, age restrictions may apply for certain imported vehicles.

Can I insure many cars at a time?

We do have the ability to extend your policy allowing it to cover more than one vehicle over a short term basis. If you wish to cover more than one vehicle at a time, please call us at 0870 160 25 36. If you require coverage for a second vehicle on an ongoing basis it will be necessary for you to set up a separate annual policy via our online application.

I do not have my registration number yet; can I still receive an online quote?

Yes, it is possible to obtain an insurance quote without a registration number for your vehicle. Simply fill in the relevant fields that surround this question. Once you have input the information, click the continue button and you will be prompted to select the specific vehicle details.

How do I retrieve an insurance quote that I have previously saved?

If you have a quote that you saved through our system and you set up a password, you will be able to retrieve your quote. Use the “retrieve quote” function at the bottom right of the Yes Insurance homepage. If you requested a quote, but failed to save it, it will be necessary for you to re-enter your details.

Can I get an insurance quote even though I have a provisional license?

Yes. When you are prompted to select your type of license, select “provisional.”

Can I get an insurance quote even though I have a foreign license?

If you have a foreign license you will be unable to get a quote online as our system is designed to offer quotes to drivers holding a UK license. It will be necessary for you to call us directly for a quote.

Do my spouse and I have coverage for our business use with our Yes Insurance car insurance policy?

If you are unsure whether your existing policy covers business use you should check your policy documents. Alternatively, you can contact us and we will review your policy for you and advise if it covers business use. Options for business use coverage is not available online, so if you wish to add it to a new policy it will be necessary for you to contact us.

How to add a driver to my car insurance policy segment?

At this time we do not offer policy holders the ability to change or view their policies online. If you wish to check out change your information, please contact us.

How do I get a pass plus discount?

At this time we do not offer the pass plus discount online. If you wish to add it to your policy, please contact us.

What is a multi-car discount?

A multi car discount entitles the policy holder to a discounted rate for two or more vehicles that are insured with Yes Insurance as long as the policy holder of each vehicle resides at the same address. At this time the multi car discount is not available online. If you wish to obtain a quote for a multi car discount, please contact us and speak with a customer service representative.

Can I keep my old car insured while I try to sell it?

Yes. Yes Insurance has the ability to extend your policy on a short term basis so that is covers more than one vehicle.

How do I transfer my existing policy to my new vehicle?

If you want to transfer your existing policy to a new vehicle, it will be necessary for you to contact us and speak with one of our customer service representatives. They can aid you in amending your current policy. You may experience a difference in price and a change in the underwriting criteria for the new vehicle, but our customer service representative representatives will discuss this with you.

Do you offer coverage for trailer tents?

Vehicles insured by us are covered by our policy on a Third Party Only (TPO) basis. This means that our insured vehicle that tows a trailer (caravan, trailer tent, horse box, etc) or disabled mechanically propelled vehicle (towing a car that is broken down) as allowed by law.

Yes Insurance is not, however, liable for any claim that arises from loss of the towed trailer or vehicle or for property that is carried in or on the towed trailer or vehicle and while such vehicle or trailer is being towed for reward.

Who in the underwriter for your car insurance?

Yes Insurance is underwritten by Provident Insurance plc.
No claims discount
What is NCD?

NCD means No Claim Discount. It is determined by the number of years that you have held an insurance policy without having a claim made against you or without you making a claim. If you earn a No Claim Discount it can be used on only one policy at a time.

If my No Claim Discount (NCD) was acquired in another country, it is still valid?

The policy that has the No Claim Discount must have been issued by an insurer from an EU country and the proof must be written in English. An NCD that is earned in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa is accepted by Yes Insurance as long that it is written in English and the NCD level is represented by number of year as opposed to percentage.

Does my time spent driving a company car count toward my no claims discount?

A company vehicle or a vehicle for business and pleasure use, you may be eligible for a no claims discount. Pool cars are not eligible. Terms of having time spent driving a company vehicle and applying it to your no claims discount are as follows:
1. Vehicle must have been surrendered within the past year
2. You must be claim free
3. You must be able to supply a letter from your employer confirming this information

Can my NCD for my motor bike insurance be used for my car insurance?

Yes. Your NCD for your motor bike insurance can be applied to your no claim discount for your car insurance. However, you must have surrendered the motor bike policy in order for it to be accepted by our company.

What is your no claims discount protection plan for car insurance?

Policyholders with either 4 or 5 years discount are eligible for our no claim discount protection plan. Under the terms of the plan, you will not incur any loss of your no claim discount if you adhere to either of these criteria:
* You have no more than one fault claim within a period of coverage
* You have no more than two fault claims within any three consecutive periods of coverage.
Service and cover
Can I view or change my policy online?

No. Our Customer Service pages are currently unavailable temporarily as we upgrade our system. It is our goal to have these pages online and available to our customers in a relatively short time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If I drive abroad, am I covered by my policy?

Yes. Your existing coverage is automatically extended to cover you as you travel within the EU for up to 90 days. Travel outside of the EU may require additional levels of coverage to the countries that you will be visiting abroad.

If I drive other cars, am I covered by my policy?

Each policy has different parameters that are dependent upon the individual policyholder’s requirements. Your coverage may extend to other vehicles that you drive, but this insurance is not automatically extended. If you plan to drive other cars you should check your Certificate of Motor Insurance to determine if you have that type of coverage.

How do I make any changes to my car insurance policy statement?

If you wish to make any changes to your insurance policy you must call our customer service department and one of our customer service representatives will assist you.

If my vehicle requires repair is it possible for me to cover a hired car under my insurance?

Yes. A hired car can be covered under your car insurance if your car undergoing repairs such as in a garage. The hire car may be used in claims such as accident, fire or theft. In such cases, if you wish to extend your policy to cover a hired car, contact our customer service department and give the representative information on the vehicle, including the expected duration of the coverage and we will gladly add the vehicle onto your policy for you. A small fee may be assessed depending on the details of the vehicle.

Can I add a driver to my car insurance on a temporary basis?

It is possibly to add a driver to your insurance on a temporary basis. You must first contact our customer service department with all pertinent information regarding the additional driver and we will add that driver for you. A fee may be assessed depending upon the level or risk the new driver poses.

Why I have not received any cover note for my car insurance policy?

Yes Insurance does not issue cover notes. We only issue Certificates of Insurance for the period of coverage. These Certificates of Insurance are sent out within four business days of the acceptance of the policy. Once we have accepted your policy we will issue a confirmation email directly to you. This is approximately done within 24 hours.

How do I view my car insurance policy documents?

You may access our website and view your car insurance policy documents at any time after acceptance.

I typically receive my certificate with my insurance renewal but have not yet received it this year. Where is it?

Upon receipt of your renewal letter, read the section entitled “What to do Now” that is located on the left hand side. If you policy is set to renew automatically, make certain that all of your information is correct. If you want to make any changes in policy, please contact our customer service department CSD. After your renewal date you will receive your new Certificate of Insurance.

Can I get a copy of file of my car insurance certificate?

You may request you car insurance certificate by contacting our customer service department.

If my car is not going to be driven for a period of time, can I freeze my insurance payments?

You have the ability to change the level of coverage that you have. If your car is not going to be used for a period of time, we can reduce your level of coverage to Accidental Damage, Fire & Theft or to Fire & Theft only. This type of policy is referred to as a laid up policy. Stipulations to receive this type of change in your policy are as follows:

* Your car always kept in a locked garage
* You may have absolutely no road use from the car
* You must return the Certificate of Insurance policy

Your insurance premium will be adjusted to reflect the reduction in coverage.

We can also suspend your coverage entirely. You will be required to make regular payments, however if your suspension exceeds a 28 day period you will be offered a return premium for the time you have incurred on suspension in excess of this period.

You should also note that if your car is off the road, you are required to inform the DVLA and request a SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification) certificate.

If I sell my car after paying my insurance premium, will I receive a refund?

If you have paid an annual premium, you have not made any claims on the policy during the period of coverage, and the policy is cancelled prior to the renewal date, then a partial refund would be made.

What are your cancellation and refund procedures for car insurance?

If you wish to cancel your insurance coverage with Yes Insurance, our policy requires that you send the Certificate of Motor Insurance and your covering letter to our office. When we have received the Certificate we will proceed with the cancellation of your policy and calculate your refund, if any, from the date that we received the certificate.

We will assess your policy and ensure that no claim have been made against the policy that would normally affect the No Claims Discount since the inception of the policy or since the last renewal date.

The premium payable will be on a pro-rata +1 month basis unless the policy has been active for less than 14 days. In that case, a full refund will be given, provided that certain criteria are met. In the case where a policy is pain in instalments, there may be an outstanding balance that must be settled following cancellation.

If there has been a claim made the full annual premium generally remains payable following cancellation.

You do have several alternatives to cancellation that you may wish to consider:

* Substitute the vehicle on coverage
* Reduce the level of coverage
* Suspend the policy

Can I use a hands free kit with my mobile phone while driving?

Operating a hand held mobile phone or similar device while driving a motor vehicle is illegal. You may not hold a mobile phone, use it for texting, internet access or video operation while operating a motor vehicle. If you are caught, there are various penalties that may be imposed.

If the mobile phone device can be operated without actually holding it, a hands free kit with a mobile phone is not prohibited by the laws and regulations.

However, a hands free kit can still post a liability as it can be a distraction while you drive. You may still face prosecution for failing to maintain proper control of a vehicle if you use your hands free kit while driving. If there is an accident your use of a hands free kit with a mobile phone may result in charges of dangerous, negligent or careless driving.

You can find more information regarding the use of mobile phones when driving on the Department of Transportation website.
Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service
How much coverage does Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service provide?

Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service will provide for up to �100,000 of legal costs to help you recover uninsured damages and losses that can not be claimed from any insurance company. Such losses include:

* Compensation for death or injury
* Your excess
* Loss on earnings or income
* Compensation for damages to your personal property if you are not covered by a comprehensive policy.

Does my policy include Yes Insurance Legal Assistance services?

The Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Services feature does not have automatic inclusion in your policy. It is an optional additional coverage item that you may purchase in addition to your car insurance policy for a low monthly fee.

When can I use Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service?

If you have purchased Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service, the coverage may be used following any road traffic accident that involves your car and is not your fault. We will pay any legal costs incurred in appointing a solicitor to assist in the recovery of any uninsured losses.

If I purchase Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service, who would be included in the coverage?

Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service provides coverage for all drivers that are named on your current Certificate of Motor Insurance as well as any passengers who are travelling in your car at the time of the accident.

Would Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service cover me in my second car?

Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service will only provide coverage for the car that is described in your current Certificate of Motor Insurance. If your second car is not described in your current Certificate of Motor Insurance, it will not be covered by Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service.

Would I have coverage with Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service if I go abroad?

Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service will provide coverage within Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and any country that is described in your current policy information booklet.

Will Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service compensate me if I am injured and unable to work as a result of a traffic accident?

If you are involved in a traffic accident and you are not at fault, Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service will pay the legal costs involved in recovering compensation for any injuries incurred and any loss of earnings sustained.

In the event I have to use Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service, are there additional costs besides the annual premium?

No. If you ever have to use Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service all you need to pay is the annual premium. Any expenses that are related to your legal claim are covered by your policy.

Do I need Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service if I know a solicitor?

Yes Insurance Legal Assistance Service will pay for the other side’s costs and expenses relating to your claim if you should lose. This includes medical reports and counsel’s opinion.

Enhanced Courtesy Car (ECC)

What is ECC (Enhanced Courtesy Car)?

Our Enhanced Courtesy Car feature is available on your motor vehicle policy for an additional premium. The extended benefits of this feature include:

* A replacement car for: repairs, total loss or stolen vehicle
* A courtesy car that is of a similar size to your own vehicle, up to a Class F car, or a small van.
What does the term “similar sized car” mean?

In our Enhanced Courtesy Car feature, we will provide you to a “similar size car” meaning that it is a car of a similar size to your own. We will assess the physical size of your car, up to a large family estate car, as well as engine size. We can not guarantee a precise match, but will get a close as possible. For instance, if you have a van you will receive a small van. If you have an MPV you will receive a mini MPV that seats 7.

We are not able to guarantee that you will receive an exact match to your own car because this would involve matching not only the make and model of your car, but also colours, optional extras and modifications. This is not possible for us to accomplish, but we can secure for you a car that is similar to your own.

What is the travel fund and how does it work?

The travel fund is for customers who are unable to drive due to injury. The current motor insurance market offers very little provision if you are not able to drive the courtesy or hire car that is provide to you. The travel fund means that instead of receiving a car, you will be entitled to claim receipts for public transportation and taxis for up to �50 with a maximum of �500. As with any claim costs you are responsible for making a concerted effort to control those costs and keep them at a minimum.

You may not claim transportation that is given to you by friends.

Is you select the option of the travel find, you will not be eligible for a hire car.

What is the emergency allowance and how does it work?

All policyholders whose car is not drivable due to an insured claim are entitled to claim costs for transportation to their original destination immediately after the accident. Claims of up to �50 for public transportation or taxi costs may be submitted as part of the claim and subsequently refunded.

To whom does the ECC apply?

The ECC applies to all drivers who are insured under the policy.

Only the driver is eligible for the travel allowance and only one payment of up to �500 is payable per claim.

Am I able to use ECC more than once a year?

Once you have purchased ECC, it can be used whenever a valid claim is registered. There is not limit to the number of times that it may be used within one year.

Does the ECC affect the NCD?

As a product, ECC will not impact NCD, but it may only be used when a valid claim which may impact NCD has been registered.

If a driver is disabled, do you provide a hire car?

No. Disabled drivers do have access to suitable transportation through an entitlement to hire a suitable car or use an alternate form of transportation that is allowed through the travel allowance benefit.

Am I required to pay an excess if I have an accident in the hire car?

You will be required to pay an excess if you are involved in an accident in a hire car that is provided to you under the enhanced courtesy car feature. If you have a comprehensive policy, you will be required to pay the current level of excess on your policy. For Third Party Fire & Theft customers, you will be required to pay a standard accidental damage excess of �250. The windscreen excess is �75.
What methods can I use to pay for my policy?

If you wish to purchase your policy online we are able to accept payment via Visa, Access, MasterCard, American Express and Switch. If you wish to pay for your premium by Direct Debit, you may pay in one lump sum or in monthly instalments. If you opt to pay by Direct Debit, you will be required to make an initial deposit using one of our accepted credit cards. We do not accept Solo or Electron for online payment, but if you select a direct debit lump sum, you can enter the sort code and account number that is shown on your Solo and Electron card. If you pay by card, the “card number” is the 16 – 21 digit number that is printed across the middle of your card.

Can I safely pay for my policy on the internet?

Yes. You can safely pay for your policy via our website because we use 128-bit encryption that disguises and protects your personal and payment details as well as preventing them from being accessed by or disclosed to third parties.

Is it possible for me to pay for my policy using someone else’s account or credit card details?

When you pay for your policy online, you are required to confirm that you, as the policyholder, are also the account or credit card holder. If you wish to use someone else’s details, you will need to contact our customer service department because we will need to speak with the account or credit card holder in order to receive their permission.

Can I pay for my insurance in instalments?

You may be eligible to pay for your insurance in instalments, however, that decision will be subject to our normal instalment criteria.
What is the procedure for making a claim?

If you experience the unfortunate event of being involved in an accident or your car is stolen, vandalized or damaged in any way, you should call us to report a claim at 0870 160 25 39. Make sure that you have the other driver’s details such as the registration number of the other car, make and model of the car and the driver’s name. We will provide you with the support that you need and direct you to the nearest vehicle repair shop as well as walk you through all the steps involved in making your claim. As a Yes Insurance customer, you will always receive the highest quality of customer service.

How can I track my car claim?

Please contact us at 0870 160 25 39 to discuss your claim.

What is an excess?

An excess is the amount that you are required to pay towards your claim.

If I have my windscreen repaired, am I required to pay an excess?

Yes. You will be required to pay a small excess if you have your windscreen repaired. You are also required to pay an excess if you have your windscreen replaced.
Will I be given a courtesy car while my car is being repaired?

We will offer you the use of a courtesy for the duration of your vehicle repairs if you meet to stipulations:

1. If your vehicle incurs damages resulting from a claim that is covered by your policy
2. You use one of our recommended repairers to repair your vehicle.

If your vehicle is stolen and damaged beyond economical repair upon recovery, or is not recovered, we are unable to provide a courtesy car for you, but pledge to settle your claim as quickly as possible.